WTA questions Peng Shuai’s email, raises women’s safety concerns over Chinese tennis star | Peng Shuai Zhang Gaoli | Peng Shuai has disappeared

Florida: The head of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) – has questioned the authenticity of an email published by Chinese state media and attributed to tennis player Peng Shuai, who has not been seen or heard in public since making sexual assault allegations against a former top communist party. official of China (CPC). In the email obtained by WTA, Shuai claimed she was “resting at home” and that a sexual assault allegation was “not true.” WTA chief and CEO – Steve Simon said the email, which was shared on state media on Wednesday and sent to the WTA, heightened his concern for the player.Read also – I would skip Roland-Garros, Wimbledon instead of getting vaccinated: Novak Djokovic

The email, shared by state broadcaster CGTN without a date or signature. “Hello everyone, this is Peng Shuai. Regarding the recent news posted on the WTA official website, the content has not been confirmed or verified by myself and it has been posted without my consent,” indicates the email. Also Read – Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer will team up for the Laver Cup | Tennis News

“The news in this release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true. I am not missing and I am not safe. I have just rested at home and all is well. Thanks again to care about me. If the WTA releases any other news about me, please check it with me and release it with my consent. Read also – Novak Djokovic’s participation in the French Open is uncertain

Meanwhile, the WTA chief said the email, which was shared on state media on Wednesday and sent to the WTA, heightened his concern for the player.

“The statement released today by Chinese state media regarding Peng Shuai only raises my concerns about his safety and whereabouts. I find it hard to believe that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is attributed to him,” Simon said in a statement.

Simon said he had repeatedly tried to reach Peng, a former top doubles player who won titles at Wimbledon and Roland Garros, through “many forms of communication”, but had no not completed.

“Peng Shuai must be allowed to speak freely without coercion or intimidation from any source,” he said in the statement. “Her allegation of sexual assault must be respected, investigated transparently and without censorship. Women’s voices must be heard and respected, not censored or dictated.

Earlier this month, Peng Shuai showed incredible courage in describing a sexual assault allegation against former Vice President Zhang Gaoli. She revealed in a lengthy social media post earlier this month that a former senior CCP official forced her to have sex with him despite repeated refusals.

The post was removed from his verified account on Weibo, one of China’s major social media platforms, and Chinese state-controlled media deleted all reporting on the case.

Mara R. Wilmoth